The Club

Boston Spa has had a Bowling Club history which predates the present site, more information about this will appear shortly. Below is a brief history of the present site

 

CLUB ORIGINS PRESENT SITE

 

In order to get a grant from the Boston Spa Parish Council, it was necessary to obtain at least 40 names of people who believed there should be a Bowling Club in Boston Spa. Charles McEntee was largely responsible for the collection of signatures. Having got 40 names the Parish Council donated £8000 for the development of the green and Wetherby Rural District Council also donated £8000. This was on the condition that club members should come from within the District, hence the condition in the Club Constitution that members should live within five miles of the club. The cost for the creation of the bowling club was £18,000. This work was completed in summer 1980.

 

Two ex-railway containers were installed for use as pavilion and storage accommodation. There were some objections to the granting of Planning Permission for these (see articles in the Wetherby News of 25 July and October 1980). The Parish Council and the Bowling Club Steering Committee had run out of funds to build proper facilities.

 

Charlie remembers his first fees, paid in September 1978, as £2 for joining fee and £8 annually as a playing member. The Steering Committee, concerned with the establishment of the Bowling Club, was itself established in December 1979, according to the minutes of the 1st AGM.

 

The first AGM was on 13 November 1980. Until then, the club had been run by the Steering Committee under its Chairman P J Squire. The first Chairman was Mr L Platts, Secretary Mr E Young, Treasurer Mr D Sewell and the first President Mrs M North. 

 

Whilst play on the green started during 1981 when grass cutting equipment was purchased, the official opening of the Bowling Green was on Easter Saturday 1982.

 

The club started playing in competitive leagues in 1984 when they entered one team in the Tadcaster Vets League.

 

DEVELOPMENT OF CLUB AND IT'S FACILITIES

(Items from various minutes)

 

In 1985 there were 101 playing members.

 

Peter Wood and Peter Nacey elected to management committee in October 1986.

 

Replacement building for existing pavilion discussed in 1986. Bowling Club did not wish to be associated with the proposal of the Parish Council to proceed with the provision of a new pavilion to serve all three clubs (football, tennis, bowls).

 

During 1987 AGM, Ed Gardner, Chairman of the Pavilion Sub-Committee, and Peter Wood Treasurer of the Sub-Committee, reported on progress concerning the proposed new pavilion. Whilst Leeds City Council agreed that the pavilion could be of timber construction, they would not provide a grant towards its purchase. There was over £2000 in the fund but £7000 was the target. Application would be made to the Sports Council for financial assistance.

 

In 1987 there were 110 playing members.

 

At the 1988 AGM, it was noted that work was now in progress on the construction of the new pavilion. The cost of the pavilion and fees was £7750. £2000 was to come from a grant from the Parish Council and the remainder came from members’ donations, outside donations (£690) and a loan from the Bowling Club reserves. £1608 was still required.

 

The 1989 AGM shows that the total expenditure on the new pavilion was £8008, with £1281 coming from club funds and £2000 from the Parish Council. The Club received a grant from the Foundation for Sport and Art, sponsored by Littlewoods, Vernons and Zetters.

 

The new pavilion was opened during the 1989 season.